Welcome to the Mendon Conservation League!
Our club was formed by a group of local men looking for a place to shoot together. Founded in 1956 and formally incorporated in 1961, membership rose to 40. A modest club house was built around 1957 and expanded in 1986 with the addition of a large front porch. Formal shooting forms have been added to the skeet and trap fields. Today with a membership well over 250 and "espirit de corps" second to none, the Mendon Conservation League will continue to be one of the best clubs in the area.
MCL Spring Cleanup
The MCL work day is scheduled for 29 April, 9 AM. As always, a pizza lunch will be provided. Any member with suggestions for a suitable task should e-mail me.
The jobs that get done every year include: (1) getting the riding mowers and push mowers ready for summer, (2) "summerizing" the snowblower and putting it away for the summer, (3) vacuuming shotgun wads from the trap fields, (4) sweeping and spraying ("Spray and Forget") the top of the clubhouse and sheds and (5) first mowing of appropriate parts of the lawn.
Additional prospective jobs might include (1) rehabilitating the 65 yard range, including filling the ditch on the left side and leveling the burn pile.
NYSP Handgun Recertification
The NYS Safe Act requires that you must recertify your permit every five years. If you had a
permit when the law passed in January 2013 then you must recertify by January 2018.
Here is the link to the NYSP web site for recertification of your handgun permit. If your permit was issued before January 15, 2013, you are required to complete your recertification before January 31, 2018 . Share with all you know so no one gets jammed up over this silliness. Permit holders will NOT be notified by the NYSP. Permit holders have to remember to do this on their own every 5 years.
A note on Handgun permit recertification- from Yates Co. Ron Spike:
65 yard range building remodeling
We are starting the process of remodeling the 65 yard range shooting building. The first step is to remove the metal roofing now on the building. Jerry Moroz is leading this project and will be trying to remove the metal roof this coming Saturday. The weather is projected to be good. We would like to find a small number of members who will come and help him. Screw guns with a quarter inch square bit will be needed to remove the screws holding down the metal. Short ladders will be useful. Our plan is to have a new roof structure, and a building enclosed on three sides with windows and a door just like the 100 yard range.
Members may continue to use the range when it is not being worked on.
Hunter Safety Course
Disk Gatto is accepting participants for the MCL Hunter Safety Course in April.
The dates are April 6th (5-9), April 7th (5-9) and April 8th (8-11). Students will have to pick up a book and a homework assignment before the course.
- Full Name
- Full Address
Students must be 11 years old before April 6th, 2017
Class size is 25.
He is holding the course open for MCL members. He will add our members who sign up to the course before it goes live statewide.
Please note that the class will be using the skeet field on Saturday 4/8 until noon so it will be restricted to their use.
The annual Sportsmans Raffle is going on now.
The prizes are as follows:
- Beretta A300 Outlander 12 guage w/26" barrell and walnut stock
- Winchester SXPR package in .270Win w/Yortex 3x9 scope
- Glock model 19 in 9mm oe $450 cash
- Henry Golden Boy in .22LR
Drawing will be held Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at the Mendon Conservation League clubhouse at 7:30pm.
You do not need to be present to win.
Donation is $10/ticket or $25/3 tickets.
Request or return tickets to:
PO BOX 2
Mendon. NY 14506
Members are encouraged to volunteer for selling tickets at the area gun shows. Please contact Ron for more information.
2017 Membership Renewals
Hello everyone! The holidays also bring us arounf to the annual renewal process.
Please download and print this years renewal form. After filling it out, please mail it in or drop it off at a monthly meeting.
This is also going out in an eblast.
Please note that the door lock code has been changed to the new 2017 code.
2016 - the MCL year in review
2016 MCL Improvements/Accomplishments
as of 1/4/2017
- Installed and fixed lights on the Skeet field
- Painted the protective wall between the trap and skeet fields
- Made multiple repairs to skeet and trap machines
- Painted the skeet houses
- Added stone on the path from the clubhouse to the skeet field
- Replaced railing to skeet high house and painted it
- Completed the prone and disability shooting benches on the 100 yard range
- Added one additional movable shooting bench on the 100 yard range
- Installed a gate on the right side of the 100 yard range shooting building as a safety measure
- Replaced the 100 yard target backstops on the 100 yard range
- Put stone on the right side and in front of the 100 yard shooting building
- Build screens to catch spent casings so they do not hit someone at the next bench. This also makes it easier for you to find your casings.
- Regraded the land around trap two so water would not flow down into the trap house
- Cleaned out the drain at trap two so water would flow into the dry well
- Finished raised floors in the trap houses
- Installed new exterior lights for the trap houses
- Purchased an additional control box for the audio control for the trap machines
- Took down the old cross posts that used to hold up the lights for the trap field
- Replaced the wood on the bench by trap one and painted it
- Replaced the gun rack holders on Trap one and Trap two
- Painted cement blocks on both Trap house green and painted wood trim on trap houses
- Successfully hosted the Inland Waters Trap League
- Trimmed dead limbs from the pine tree located behind trap two
- Hosted our second competitive archery shoot
- Installed new target holders on the archery range
- Installed new light with an electric eye by entry door to club house and a locking switch so that it would not accidentally be turned off
- Installed locking switches to the lights in the parking lot so they would not accidentally be turned off
- Dug the mud out in front of the cement pad at the entry to the club house and filled it with stone so the water would drain away
- Cleaned out most of the junk that had accumulated under the storage trailer
- Installed carpenter bee traps to stop the carpenter bee infestation
- Removed the old bleachers that were no longer used
- Removed the metal catwalk that was at the side of the parking lot by the trap fields
- Replaced the water pump and pressure tank
- Installed a new electric stove and refrigerator in our kitchen
- Had the furnace cleaned
- Had the wood stove flu cleaned
- Received a donation of wood from Dennis that is burning very nicely
- Replaced the broken glass on the front of the wood stove with a metal plate
- Repaired the men's room urinal valve
- Replaced the controls in the men's room toilet
- Swept off the roof of the clubhouse
- Cleaned Air Conditioner compressor
- Acquired a new outdoor grill to replace the old one
- Mowed lawns on a weekly basis throughout the mowing season
- Winterized the mowers and brought the batteries inside for the winter
- Got the snowblower ready for winter
- Freed up brake cables on John Deere Tractor, changed oil in mowers and sharpened blades
- Built a new entry ramp for the mower shed
- Filled in tire tracks between trap one and the 65 yard range and reseeded
- MCL accepted many new members to reach a member total of 273 by December 2016
- The Board of Trustees decided there would not be a dues increase for 2017
- The Board of Trustees decided there should be a $3.00 fee when a member brings a guest to shoot on the Rifle or Pistol Ranges. After three visits the guest is expected to join MCL
MCL 2017 Officers and Directors
Reminder! The Field Captain position is open! If you are interested, please contact Bob Merla.
also available as a pdf *to be updated: 2016_MCL_Officers__Directors_Listing.pdf
NRA Membership Drive
Now that MCL is an NRA Associated Club, you can join or renew via the link below and the club will receive credit. Both the image and the text link take you to the NRA.
The fee structure is NRA Membership Fees 2016
You will get a discount on NRA membership cost and MCL will get a commission if you renew your NRA membership through the MCL website or through our Treasurer. The table with the discounts is shown below. This table represents the new NRA prices that generally went into effect March 1, 2016, but do not go into affect for clubs until May 1, 2016.
There is an Icon with an eagle and Join NRA on it. The current Icon only gives a discount for one year membership applications. The Icon that will activate on May 1, 2016 will also give a discount on multi-year renewals. You can save $5.00 for a one year renewal if you renew before May 1, 2016 using the current Icon.
Gate Lock Update
The MCL gate lock has malfunctioned and we are now just chaining the gate closed.
Wednesday Lunch Shoots
We generally have between 14 and 24 people, but not every one stays for lunch. We also don't know whats on the menu untill that very day. We encourage anyone interested in the club and our activities to visit then.
Example from 2/22/2012:
Today we had a nice fish lunch, provided by Winston Smith. This being Ash Wednesday he deemed it appropriate and just $2.00. Brownies for desert, you just can't beat it-eh. 18 shooters enjoyed the morning sunshine, but the targets proved elusive with the deep shadows on the field.